Thursday, July 19, 2012

Food For Thought pt. 2- What Matters to Me

July 19, 2012 - 1:33am

"When I think of questions like, 'What matters to me,' I think of the little things and then move up to the most important blessing- the blessing of living."

I'm giving you part two to my food for thought blog, and as I write it, I'll just say that I do appreciate those who feel as if I'm giving great insight on a more positive perspective of life, and I hope and pray that I'm able to elevate in this experience as well as you all.  Thank you and much love and respect ladies and gentlemen.

     Well, I went to Busboys and Poets off of 5th and K in Northwest D.C., for open mic Wednesdays.  Although I didn't get a chance to recite any poetry, the vibe is overly exceptional.  The crowd was chilled and brought a very cool atmosphere in the room.  The poets were displaying their art in great fashion.  There was a sense of love and peace, and I definitely left BB&P feeling rejuvenated.  It's something about a group of people sharing their stories and emotions through poetry that shows me a side of appreciation that I love to experience.  So, here's where the food comes in: through a simple experience such as experiencing a small group of individuals who share a similar appreciation as you do can open the doors to learning how to appreciate living.


     What matters to you as an individual?  What makes the differences in your life that allow you to appreciate life in its entirety?  I stay up for hours a night just to answer questions like these so often, and I search within myself to find answers.  Many of my nights I end up writing a poem or a song, just to clear these very thoughts of what life offers, or what challenges life presents to me.  At the end of the night I come to realize that these questions should be right under my nose.  Then, I may answer the question with a question such as, "Shouldn't living matter to me," or "Aren't life experiences slowly allowing me to appreciate life?"  Now, I'm trying to dissect the very questions that I now have asked myself in detail, thinking about whether or not it's worth answering at the moment.  I tend to sleep on these questions very often and try and reroute my mental process until another time.


     Tonight gave me an answer to what matters to me.  The everyday blessings of living, breathing, and being able to focus on the task at hand are some of the things that matter to me.  The list of things that matter to me may be a lot longer than this, but some of the most important things that do matter to me are getting the opportunity to express myself, to love, and to help others  enhance their minds.  I feel that the little things become a vessel towards our future and our place in society in the future, ONLY if we can utilize our mind and pay attention to the details.  Another example would be knowing that you are deeply in love with making music, and yet, you only focus on recording and selling your music.  You can't forget that with music come process, and THEN with process come the progress.  Same applies to our goals, aspirations, thoughts, emotions, and overall-our lives.  If we don't pay attention to what matters to us in detail, then we may overlook some of the most important keys to opening up our minds and appreciating the blessings we have as a whole.


     Take the time and ask yourselves, "What really matters to you?"  This question, when we sit back and actually think, takes time to answer.  That's great if you have a lot to be appreciative for.  If you feel you have only a little bit to be thankful, then, pay attention to the value of the thought that you appreciate, and you may see that it's more valued than we interpret it to be.  It just takes a little looking into, and a little more effort, and the things that matter become so much more obvious to us.  Now, the next question to ask is, "How can I show my appreciation to things that matter?"  That's when we start making progression towards further our minds and becoming more appreciative of each life experience that we encounter.  Hey, to think, it all starts with what actually matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment